Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Something to shoot for!

I love the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy.  My favorite is the Return of the King.  I love this movie.  Throughout the series and the book, Aragorn, a descendant of Kings and heir to the throne, goes from a self imposed exile, to stepping up and being who he was born to be.  This resonates with me.  I think we all have something buried deep inside that we know we are destined for.  I believe God writes this in our DNA before we are born.  We are heirs to something greater.  So what's the problem?


Fear.  Fear that we won't be able to handle the pressure.  Fear of the unknown.  Fear that we will fail and let everyone down.  


The reason I love Aragorn is that you get to watch him go through this battle, and you see all of his friends and comrades encourage him to step into his destiny.  We need this too.  We need people around us to help us, encourage us, and remind us of who we really are.  


There is one scene in the final movie where you finally get to see Aragorn step into his destiny.  He finds confidence and leaves fear behind.  He takes the Dimholt Road into the mountain of the dead to summon an army.  The King of the dead upon meeting Aragorn, says to him "the dead to not suffer the living" and then the pivotal moment happens.  Aragorn holds up the sword of Elendil and proclaims "you will suffer me."  This is the moment where Aragorn steps into his destiny.  This moment always gives me chills.  


I think we all need something to shoot for.  A destiny we can step into as we leave fear behind.  We need people around to help us, walk with us, encourage us, and remind us of who we really are.  This movie gives me hope and inspires me.  What inspires you?

No comments: