Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A bit of history...

Lately I have been reading this book. It's basically a complete history of every U.S. president that we have ever had. It give a complete overview of each administration, their beliefs, effectiveness in office, what they accomplished, both good and bad, and assesses the mark they made in the history of our nation.

What has impressed me the most as I have been reading through this book, is the vast difference between the men that founded our Country, our first presidents and the state of our nation in the fairly recent past. I am not referring to any religious beliefs, but it seems that there was a sense of patriotism, a sense that the wars fought to provide our freedoms would never fully be over and thus, a true appreciation for the significance of America.

That appreciation seems to be lost on our culture today, and I speak for myself as much or more than anyone else. Reading this book and I am sure others just like it or even better, is a good way to reattach and stay in touch with the significance of our Country and why every position, policy, bill, and every letter of our constitution is so important to where we came from, who we are and who we hope to become as a nation. I highly reccomend reading this or some similar book and staying in touch with the history of our nation. I know it's been mind blowing for me.

No comments: