Thursday, February 26, 2009

Watch out, I'm about to talk politics...

Recently, a friend asked me how I might go about getting American out of it's current financial crisis, if it were up to me.

The truth is, that I am not quite sure what I would do. What I do feel though is that far too much unfair blame has been put on the former administration, and I am a little weary of it.   Now, I do acknowledge some huge mistakes and errors made by that administration, and unfortunate ones.  And as far as my personal opinion is concerned, our most recent, former president was not my favorite by a long shot.   I tend to believe though that much of the "economic crisis" is due to the cyclical nature of our economy, and if not over-corrected, will adjust itself. Do I think we should do nothing? No. I think that some tax cuts are in order and of course some spending that is directly related to creating jobs quickly and helping out people who are effected in a negative way, through no fault of their own, but the amount happening in this package is pretty crazy. Much of the spending in this package is not going to stimulate anything, and really is not intended to. It is just a great way to push through some partisan political spending. 

I ran across this great quote the other day from Thomas Jefferson. "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." Wouldn't it be great if every US citizen actually took some responsibility upon themselves for a way out of the "crisis?" What if we all saved money to buy cars and homes rather than use credit? What if we helped one another more and tried encouragement rather than hate? What if we took the responsibility to teach our children seriously rather than blame schools for the way our children turn out? What if we disciplined ourselves as a Nation and actually became the example that we now falsely claim to be to the rest of the world.

The notion that we can spend our way out of a recession, and that the first priority is to get credit flowing again, is to ignore history. Credit is part of what caused the non-cyclical part of this crisis. President Obama spoke last night about government transparency with spending, and that the way the former administration handled the budget was not how you would handle your household budget and not how the government should handle the budget either. At first listen, that sounds really great, but let me ask you this. if you had a negative balance in your checkbook at the end of every month for 6 months straight, would you continue to go out and spend money hoping that would create more income somehow? Probably not. I bet you would open up the budget, find places to cut spending, places where alternative spending choices could be made, use coupons to save money, and make any other adjustments necessary to make the budget balance. To continue spending would be household, financial disaster. I have been there, so have many Americans, and on a larger scale, that is really what this stimulus package is going to do, and that is why the damage it does will be greater in the long-run than the immediate relief that it provides. History bears this out and cannot be ignored in a discussion like this.

Please do not confuse this post, or any future posts of a political nature, as bashing our current President.  I like our President allot. I think he is charming, eloquent, and smart. I appreciate what his election to office means to our Country from an historical standpoint.  I have read his books, and listened to him speak. That fact remains, that I do not agree with his economic or social policies and do not think they will work. I pray every day that this will not be the case, and will continue to do so. 
 
As usual, I appreciate al respectful responses and comments and would always respond respectfully myself.  I appreciate healthy debate and discussion and believe it is a large part of we grow together as individuals.  

Thank you, and goodnight!


No comments: