Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Unity and Diversity...Can we have both?

So, I am sure most readers know by now that I am a Christian.  Actually, I am trying to refer to myself now as a follower of Jesus rather than Christian, though, as a broad term to classify my beliefs, the word Christian works.  I was having an online discussion with a man whom I respect, though we don't often share the same viewpoint.  What we do have in common is our love for Jesus. 

The conversation eventually cam around to this idea of diversity versus unity.  His opinion is that although we are Christians, diversity in thought and action are necessary and important as a part of our community together.  My viewpoint was that of unity over diversity.  One God, one faith, one truth, etc.  In the new testament, Paul exhorts the church to be of like mind, and intent on one purpose.  I think Paul knew the danger of the enemy seeking to divide the church by convincing them that their can be a gray rather than just black and white.  I know I am gonna catch some disagreement here, but here it is, I just don't see any gray in scripture or in the life of Jesus, and I see a call for unity and for advancement of the Kingdom of God on earth, never a call for diversity and varied opinion.  Yes, I understand we are all different, but if the goal is the same, the path can't be that far apart.  IF there is no gray in scripture, no luke warm, the unity can not be that far behind.

This post is actually several weeks in the making and over that time I have given some thought to this idea of unity and diversity, by applying it directly to God himself.  God is both unity and diversity.  He is God the Father and creator, He is God the son, and He is God the Holy Spirit.  Each person of the trinity has a function different and separate from the other, yet they remain perfectly united and intent on the propose of God the Father.  Perfectly diverse and perfectly united.  I think the church is called to be the same.

My friend voted for President Obama, and I did not.  We are diverse.  The unity comes in our acknowledgement that we are not called to criticize, but to pray for "kings" and all those in authority.  This is our unity.  This unity will never happen as long as I spend valuable time bashing the President and slandering him over things I disagree with, and I refuse to do that, and I expect the same thing from fellow followers of Christ.  Should we speak up and have a voice when we think things are wrong or immoral?  Yes, but that must never take the place of prayer and unity of purpose.  Is it OK to dislike Rush Limbaugh?  Sure.  He's not my favorite person.  What happens though when we take our dislike and disagreement a step further by aligning our selves with groups titled "Tell Rush Limbaugh to Shut The Hell Up?"  Really all this does is put us on the same level as the one we despise for justifiable reasons, and mutes our cause.  Joining the madness will never bring solutions or peace or the Kingdom of God.

Followers of Jesus (read: The Church) need to find unity in our diversity and understand that God is very much single minded, very black and white, and extremely intent on one purpose and that makes it our intent as well.

7 comments:

skylana said...

i wonder about this...

you saying 'God is very much single minded, very black and white, and extremely intent on one purpose and that makes it our intent as well'... do you understand this is YOUR opinion on God?....

seth is a christian. his views are almost opposite of yours many times.. i just wonder, at what point do you feel you can veto someone else who says they believe the bible also? that they are a christian also? no one, NO ONE, can look at the bible objectively... we all look at it with our point of view, with our perspective... you can tell me there is the greek etc etc... i have had this conversation... and seths father actually studies the bible like no one else i know, but i can't believe that anyone truly honestly believes they have the bible pegged. ... and when someone says they do.. it scares me.

Jim Seybert said...

Quite a few thoughts - I'll share one:

At the Tower of Babel, the human race was unified and had no diversity. God stepped in a blasted their unity to smithereens, creating a world of diversity.

Jesus prayed for unity (John 17) but he chose some very diverse people as his first followers. Matthew collected taxes for Rome and Simon the Zealot was sworn to destroy anything that represented Rome.

We have no record, but I imagine these two men had some interesting discussions about what the group should do with the money they earned doing odd jobs while they were together.

Paul very clearly writes about diversity, more than once. We were "knit together" by God, not stamped from a single mold.

And, I have this idea way in the back of my mind that the "many mansions" Jesus spoke of in his "Father's house" just might be an indication that are people coming from all over the place - that's just a wild idea.

oops - got rolling and did more than one.

Will McCabe said...

Skylana - I would NEVER claim to have the Bible pegged, nor would say that my opinion based on my understanding of scripture is indisputable. The one thing you can't deny however, is who God is. Sure, everyone draws their own conclusions based on thier understanding and personal revelation, but the attributes of God don't change, no matter what your understanding is. God's heart for truth, justice, hating sin, etc, can't really be argued or disputed. They are black and white. How we live those things out, can vary, but the Bible clearly states that God cannot change and He is the same "today, yesterday and forever." No matter our perspective, opinion or whatever else, that does not change the fact that God is who he is and cannot change. So, no, I don't believe this is my opinion on God. I believe it is true from scripture and statements like the one above same, yesterday, today, forever)are not objective statements. They are fact according to scripture, and you either have to believe it or not. Let me be clear. I agree that there are things in scripture that are viewed differently by many different people and you and I may never agree on whether creation was 7 literal days or not, because the scriptures don't say or sure. But when the scriptures make a claim about God as fact, that is a whole new ballgame.

Jim - I agree with you and I think we are on the same page.

The McCabe's said...

One more thing...I would also never be so arrogant as to veto someone else who has an opinion. But open and loving discussion is always a bonus, so that we can all get to where we need to be! -Will

Adam Van Coops said...

Though arguably diversity is good among Gods people and the world in general but diversity against the Word of God is something that we (against the world) will never be able to be united about. My fear is that too many people are trying to be warm and fuzzy and make the whole world fit in with each other, when in reality there are two types of people: believers and non-believers. Does it mean that we can not all get along in a civilized capacity? No, but it does mean that I do not have to agree with everybody. And as a Christian it is our job to speak the Truth and pray that God will open up the world’s ears and hearts to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.

Now in talking about diversity amongst believers then the same applies, that diversity can be a good thing, but there are infallible truths that we must never be diversified on. And like you said, the Bible is black and white. It is the Truth. And though we are all different people, different likes/dislike, having different temptations, etc., we must be seeking the Truth every second of the day. And as you said, we must be united to follow Jesus as one people putting our personal differences aside, as long as those differences do not conflict with the Word.

Will McCabe said...

Good thoughts Adam. What we fail to leave room for sometimes is grace.

Also, I feel like maybe my main point was missed. I don't claim to have all the answers or the infallible interpretation of scripture, but I do think that followers of Jesus need to be united in our attempt to love the unlovable, whether republican, democrat, loudmouth, homosexual, etc.

God calls us to love and if we are united in that then, diversity takes on a whole new meaning.

Adam Van Coops said...

Agreed. We are called to love our neighbors as Jesus would have done. He was friends of tax collectors, prostitutes and sinners and showed them the love of our Father in order for them change their ways and be saved. Blessed are the poor in spirit and the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

Praise Jesus! :)