Friday, June 26, 2009

Because it makes sense!

Up until several months ago, I had never heard of Tim Keller. I am not even sure now how I stumbled upon him, but it turns out, that he is the pastor of a large church in New York City. The first couple of things I read from him, reall resonated with, me, and the more I read, the more I am enjoying. For anybody that has questions about God and Christianity and wants real answers, and not just something that will agree with their displeasures, I would suggest checking out this book. Time Keller just has a way of stating things in such a simple a clear way, that it just makes sense.

I have been think a lot lately about what God requires of me in this life, and how I can best live and love the way Jesus did. Sometimes, i think we Christians make it too hard. Jesus just did what He saw the Father doing and we are called to do the same. When I think about it in a practical sense, it makes perfect sense. Jesus loved his Father, loved people, challenged religious leaders, turned over a few tables, drank wine, discipled the future leaders of the church, taught, confronted sin, and the amazing thing is that He ALWAYS did it with love. ALWAYS! Think about this. Jesus, meets a prostitute at a well, and although He confronts her sin and challenges her to change, she leaves feeling more loved than she ever has in her life. This is what is missing, and it just makes sense, doesn't it?

"The Christian gospel is that I am so flawed that Jesus had to die for me, yet I am so loved and valued that Jesus was glad to die for me. This leads to deep humility and deep confidence at the same time. It undermines both swaggering and sniveling. I cannot feel superior to anyone, and yet I have nothing to prove to anyone. I do not think more of myself nor less of myself. Instead, I think of myself less and others more.” -Tim Keller

No comments: