Sunday, June 7, 2009

let your light shine...

"Preach the gospel. And if necessary, use words." - St. Francis of Assisi

So, what if that verse in Matthew chapter 5, went a little different?
"In the same way, let your words speak before all men, that they may hear your condemnation and then glorify your Father who is in heaven."

Wouldn't really have the same impact would it? In fact it would be a disaster. Sometimes, I think that is how we as followers of Jesus (the Church) try to shine our lights. With our words. Let me just say this right now, that does not and will not work. Yes, we are called to preach the gospel, but that doesn't necessarily mean we have to talk. Sure there is a time for talking, but those times in my opinion are few and far between. Our light needs to be real love, real humility, real grace, real truth, real forgiveness, real family unity, and not just lip service and judgement.

When I think about it, it really doesn't surprise me any more that the church has become a joke. We condemn homosexuals, and then get found out to be one. We condemn abortion, but we kill in order to put an end to it. We cry foul when the government wants to take the ten commandments out of schools and courts, yet we lie, cheat, steal, commit adultery in our hearts, and never even blink an eye. Our inconsistency is wearisome to those on the outside looking in, and for my part, I have grown weary of this inconsistency in myself as well.

It makes no sense to me to talk about the gospel of Jesus Christ unless I am living it, and if I am truly living it, I have no time to talk. This is the greatest form of preaching we can do. May this be increasingly true of me.

"Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven." Matthew 5:14-16 The Message

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tara Pinto directed me to your blog and I love it! I'm sure we would have a lot to disagree about, but your thoughts on Christianity are so very insightful. Can't wait to read more. :)

Will McCabe said...

Well, thanks for the kind words. I have always enjoyed Tara as a friend and sister and am glad she has been kind enough to share my blog. I will check your out as well at some point, and look forward to some productive dialogue possibly. -Will