Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Asking the question...


What goes through your mind when you see a homeless man or beggar downtown, or at the entrance to the Best Buy parking lot? If I am honest, I don't think my mind ever goes directly to love. The things that go through my mind are much less spiritual. I wonder how they got there, what mistake they made to end up where they are, will they really buy food, are they addicted to drugs, when was the last time they showered, stuff like that. Now I am just being honest here. I want my thoughts to go immediately to love, but they don't.

I was thinking the other day while passing a homeless man, about Jesus and the encounters he had with the poor and downtrodden. I was thinking about the encounter he had with the blind beggar at the gate to the temple. When Jesus saw that guy, He had several options. He could have been like everyone else, and just kept going. He could have put a couple coins in his hand and been on his way. Oh yea, He is Jesus, so he also could have just healed him, and continued on about his business. Now, if you remember the story, He did heal the guy, but before He did that, He asked him a question. What do you want me to do for you? Now, Jesus is God, so I am sure He knew what the guy needed. What blows me away is that Jesus took the time to ask the question. He made no assumptions. This guy could have said, well Lord, I am blind, but I would rather have a bunch of money if it's alright with you. He could have asked for any number of things. Of course we know from the story, that he asked to see again. Jesus knew that this guy was not just a beggar, but a brother, and he treated him as such. He asked the question and then ministered to the need.

I am not saying I am going to rush out and talk to a homeless person, because I won't. My hope though is that the next time I pass a homeless beggar on the street, maybe I would take the time to pray for him rather than pass judgement. maybe someday I'll even ask him what I can do for him. I guess the main difference between the beggar on the street being just a beggar or being my brother, is me asking him the question.

No comments: